New York Times & USA Today Bestselling Author Brenda Novak is a three-time Rita nominee. Her books have won many awards, including the National Reader’s Choice, the Bookseller’s Best, the Book Buyer’s Best, the Holt Medallion, the Daphne and many others. Brenda joins us today to talk about a topic near and dear to her—her annual online auction to raise funds for diabetes research. Learn more about Brenda, her books, and the auction at her website.
|Cilene Dion concert|
and meet & greet
How would you like to attend a Cilene Dion concert and meet the singer? Spend seven nights in Hawaii? Become a character in a John Lescroart novel? Have author Hank Phillippi Ryan attend your book club? Become the owner of a Kindle Fire HDX filled with six Sandra Brown novels? All these and more can be yours if you participate in author Brenda Novak’s annual online auction for diabetes research at http://brendanovak.auctionanything.com from May 1 - May 31st.
Brenda started the auction ten years ago, as a way to fight back after her youngest son was diagnosed, at five, with Type 1 Diabetes. Since then, she’s become acutely aware of the need for more research, and the funding that makes it possible.
|Thad and Brenda|
Brenda stops by today to tell us:
Ten things I love about my annual online auction for diabetes research:
1. It reminds me that people are GOOD. More than good—AMAZING! Every year, I approach over 1000 donors and ask them to once again contribute a good or service to be auctioned off for the benefit of those suffering with diabetes. And the response is almost always an overwhelming yes, with fellow writers and industry professionals leading the pack in generosity. Touches my heart every year.
2. I love, love, love getting the positive feedback when an aspiring writer gets an agent, sells a book or finds great value in published author’s mentorship or critique. Or when someone enjoys one of the trips—or another item they’ve won. It makes me feel good to know the auction is a win/win.
|7 nights in Hawaii |
donated by author Cindy Sample
3. Watching and charting the numbers. My family wants to kill me every year because I’m absolutely ADDICTED. I check and check and check—and pray and pray and pray that our totals go up.
4. I love knowing that Author Lauren Hawkeye’s son, Ben, and that my son, Thad, probably won’t have to cope with diabetes longer than another 5-10 years because of the fabulous research we are funding.
|Book club visit from|
Hank Phillippi Ryan
5. I love so many of the cool items—like the Celine Dion tickets/meet-and-greet, the Kindles and Nooks, the promotion packages for authors, the cool jewelry, the handmade chocolates, the designer handbags, the themed baskets and the agent/editor evaluations.
6. I love my auction team—my assistant, Anna and the four auction volunteers who have been so loyal and devoted this year, which include Danita, Stephanie, Debbie and Janice. These people have been instrumental in the auction’s success. I enjoy our planning sessions and getting to spend time with these wonderful people.
|Kindle Fire HDX |
w/6 Sandra Brown novels
7. I love talking to the press and trying to get the word out. It’s certainly given me a lot of experience with handling interviews!
8. I love that the auction runs every May because it’s a celebration of Mother’s Day and my birthday, which are usually only a few days apart. After ten years, May would not be the same to me without the auction.
|Your name in a John|
9. I love that my kids and other members of my family (like my sister, Tonya) do what they can to support me by making things they can donate. My husband and children pick up part of the household load so that I can focus on the auction.
10. I love that my dream has come true. When I first started the auction, I imagined what it would be like to raise $1 million. It’s all I could think about. Now we’ve raised over $2 million and are shooting for $2.5!
If you would like to be part of this fun event, please join me! All you have to do is register at http://brendanovak.auctionanything.com and the information you need is right there (or feel free to email me with any questions via the contact button on my website.)